Book with no index - a workaround
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 08:02:25 -0700 (PDT)
We just got the book from the library:

_Happy City: Transforming Our Lives Through Urban Design_
By Charles Montgomery, 2013

After browsing the book Becca says it says it discusses ways to change
American cities to recover from the criticisms that Jane Jacobs made
in her classic book that she also read recently:

>From Wikipedia:
 Her influential book The Death and Life of Great American Cities
 (1961) argued that urban renewal did not respect the needs of most
 city-dwellers. In the book she introduced sociological concepts such
 as "eyes on the street" and "social capital.

While Becca is initially impressed by _Happy City_ it has one
shortcoming -- no index.  We wanted to see (before reading the whole
book) whether he mentioned cohousing.

We found there is an alternative way to find topics in a book:
Google's "books" facility has an unlabeled search box
THAT SEARCHED THE CONTENT OF THE BOOK
(cohousing is mentioned on page 143-144 with a description of
 N Street Cohousing - retrofit cohousing that converted a suburban block
 into cohousing.)

How I got there: search for "Happy Books" on Google, click on "books" at
the top and pick the (first in this case) link to link at
https://books.google.com )  Full URL:

https://books.google.com/books?id=lWcTAAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq
=happy+city&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2vcmvkPXVAhVr4IMKHQStAgoQ6AEIKTAA#v
=onepage&q=happy%20city&f=false

Note that in the process I got to another Google page about the book
that DID NOT have a search box and I did not see a way to get to the
other page that does have search box:
https://books.google.com/books/about/Happy_City.html?id=hXoBAAAAQBAJ

Fred

--