Invitation Fall Hopework Book Discussion Group
From: Lynn Englund (lynnhopework.org)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 08:39:57 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Hopework friends,

John and I are excited to announce a new Hopework book discussion group
starting Sunday, September 28 and meeting every other week through December
7th. The group will discuss Barbara Kingsolver’s novel, Flight Behavior at our
home (map) from 3:00 - 5:30 PM followed by an optional potluck supper.
Registration is limited to 10 participants (with the option for a second group
to form on another day of the week should demand be great enough).

We chose the novel Flight Behavior for the discussion group because of its
focus on climate change and the various views and agendas that are represented.
In the novel, a large monarch butterfly population makes an unprecedented and
potentially calamitous move by shifting their wintering grounds from Mexico,
where winters had become too warm, to Tennessee, which could threaten their
survival should temperatures plunge too low. As Kingsolver’s characters respond
to their new monarch neighbors, topics centered around climate change are
explored, including why different people hold different beliefs about it and
attach different importance to it, and why it is difficult for people to talk
about these differences. The book invites us to appreciate diverse human
experience and points of view, and the ability of media to influence them. We
think it will lead to a wonderful discussion and story sharing among
participants!

Kingsolver explained how she got the idea for the novel saying,
I had really wanted to write about the subject for a long time. I live in
southern Appalachia. I am surrounded by neighbors and friends, people I respect
very much, who don't really understand climate change or believe in it. Even
though, as farmers, they're getting socked by it.... I was just looking for the
right way to get into the subject. And one morning, I just woke up with this
vision in my eyes of millions of butterflies covering the forest behind my
house. I just, I mean, I didn't actually see it. I imagined it. (NPR Science
Friday interview).

John and I are charging $30 for all six sessions. To make this group affordable
to all, we are asking those who can afford more to include a scholarship with
their registration so that those who can afford less can participate. Should
more scholarship funds be collected than needed, they will be retained for
future scholarships and will not increase the compensation of the facilitators.

Details can be found on Hopework’s Web site at
http://hopework.org/BookGroup.html. Participants will have an opportunity to
share ideas for Hopework’s future offerings and provide input on the book
discussion format.

This new offering will take the place of Hopework’s traditional monthly circle
and supper meetings. You are welcome to share this invitation with a friend who
might be interested and encourage them to register before the group fills.

Please email or call (Lynn - 612-710-7287) with any questions. We look forward
to seeing you again soon!

Lynn and John

Hopework LLC
2650 University Ave W #315