Melting of list contribution
From: Joelyn Malone (JKMalonecomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:12:09 -0800 (PST)
I'm always amazed at how many people don't know that there's a cohousing community in the Twin Cities, and I'm guessing that's true for the Hopework mailing list too. I live at Monterey Cohousing community, and I think we are an incredible unknown gem in the metro area. So I want to un-freeze the knowledge about what we have here.

Today it is a winter wonderland. The blankets-on-blankets of snow in the front yard, the courtyard, the Oak Knoll and all through our woods are just gorgeous. We have 2 3/4 acres of land, smack dab in the middle of St Louis Park, with a park and playing field adjacent and many interconnected dabs of wetlands all around us. So we get very interesting visitors, including many deer, foxes, wild turkeys, hawks (and lots of bunnies for them to eat!), and this past summer, a mother Coyote and her 3 little ones that visited often. Before this last big storm I'd gotten outside in my "tall" boots that come up to my knees, and in just walking around my house and down the prairie hillside next to us, got into snow so deep that I really needed hip-waders.

When the spring thaw finally comes, I'm hoping all the native grasses and wildflowers we planted last year will be blooming in their blazing glory, all throughout the seasons. I'm especially looking forward to the four different kinds of milkweed we planted, besides the common milkweed that comes up by itself with no help from us. It's been a Monarch butterfly haven in the past, and I only saw a few last summer. Hoping to lure many more this year.

Y'all come visit us, I love to have others come enjoy our little gem of nature tucked away here, just off of Minnetonka Blvd and Monterey Ave but in our own little pocket with no road noise or traffic. I want to un-freeze our space and have joyful gatherings out on the lawns when they turn green - or maybe even sooner, snowball fights and games of Gray Goose in the snow.
Joelyn Malone