Invitation: February 27 Dinner and Story Circle, 4-7 pm
From: Lynn Englund (lynnhopework.org)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 07:23:03 -0800 (PST)
Dear Hopework Friends,

Snow. Again. Enough to shut the University of Minnesota down until noon today, which gives me time to invite you to February's Hopework supper and story circle this Sunday, February 27, from 4:00-7:00 PM.

January's story circle and supper focused in the image of "sliding" and our experience of sliding into or out of things in life. The stories were lively and there was wonderful discussion afterward. My words for some of the themes that came alive in the stories: having relatively little control over movement; difficulty in connecting because of movement; fun in letting go, or scary loss of control; can't see/predict what is going to happen; moving into unforeseen pathways opened by others; sliding into motherhood and gender backsliding; moving between two states of being without control; a circuitous path into a new way of doing one's work; and, you can steer a sliding car, but keep your foot off of the brakes!

This month's topic is connected to my longing for spring and new growth. Last summer I bought an azalea plant that was beautiful with many buds and blossoms. However, within a few days the buds had dropped off and the blossoms had faded. I learned that azaleas are a bit touchy about the environment they will live in. Without the right conditions, the buds will not set and open, they drop. At the end of winter I feel about as touchy as an azalea. My azalea was surprisingly resilient. At Thanksgiving, without noticeable change or growth since July, it started to produce buds and it bloomed from December through the beginning of February and now has new branches everywhere! I have more resililence than the azalea, but it is not infinite, and harsh conditions cause me to drop my new bus rather than help them set to bloom. On Sunday I will ask you to share a story about the environment you find yourself in, or have been in, and what it is like to work to bloom in it. How can we enrich the soil and improve the climate for ourselves and others?