Invitation: Hopework Supper, Sunday, January 23
From: Lynn Englund (lynnhopework.org)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:12:38 -0800 (PST)
Dear Hopework Friends,

John and I hope your holidays were warm and merry and that the beginning of 2011 finds you well. We invite you to join us for the first Hopework supper and story circle of 2011 on Sunday, January 23, from 4:00-7:00 PM.

The last story circle and supper of 2010 was Thanksgiving weekend, way back in November. Seems a long time ago now, but the stories about our holiday rituals and celebrations stayed alive for a long time with me. They brought to mind the joyful and intimately close times that we have shared with friends and family, the mix of emotions we have experienced around receiving and giving gifts in a consumerist society, and how challenging it is to deal with people's differing expectations for how the holidays and family gatherings should be. The stories shared also made vivid how enjoyable it was to be in good company that night, meeting new friends and catching up with others I haven't seen for a while.

The topic for January's story circle is "sliding." There's been plenty of snow for recreational sliding this winter on the slopes, and unintentional sliding on icy sidewalks and roads. But I'm also intrigued withe the idea of "sliding" as an image for how we get into and out of things in life. I suppose the image applies starting at birth with our "sliding" into this world and ends with us "sliding" out of this life and into what ever is next. We seem to do a lot of sliding during our time on Earth as well. What memories does the image of "sliding" bring to the surface for you? Please join us on the 23rd to share a story of a time when you slid into or out of something in life, such as a relationship, a job, a habit, or way of life. I'm interested to understand the ways in which we find sliding a useful image or way to describe what sometimes happens in life, and to think about how it works.