Invitation-Hopework Sunday Supper on 9/26
From: Lynn Englund (lynnhopework.org)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 22:30:14 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Hopework Friends and Philosophy Camp 2010 alumni,

John and I invite you to join us this fall for our first Hopework dinner and story circle on Sunday, September 26, from 4:00-7:00 pm. For those of you who are new, Hopework is the practice of creating spaces for people to get to know and like each other and to find renewed hope and purpose with and from each other. Hopework' suppers and story circle evenings are a way to reconnect with friends who have shared in our work and to meet new acquaintances who share our interests. Each month we look forward to greeting Hopework friends, Philosophy Camp/Lives Worth Living alumni and fellows, and making new friends and acquaintances. This year we will meet on the 4th Sundays of most months. Dates of scheduled Hopework dinners are below. Please join us when you can!

As I'm sure you've noticed, the University's Driven to Discover slogan has become highly visible in emails, video, and print materials in an effort to brand the institution and help position it as a respected research university. Last week, after walking home from campus, John announced that he had come up with an alternative image that he much preferred for his work: Strolling Toward Understanding. I resonate with his new image and have to say that it has stuck with me. Strolling toward understanding: I like the feeling of breathing easily when I imagine strolling toward understanding. It's a strong contrast to feeling as if I have to hold my breath when I think Driven to Discover. In the last few days I've found myself reflecting on how or where in life I might be strolling toward understanding and what this new image might illuminate for me. The more I thought about it, the more interested I became in also hearing how you are strolling toward understanding and what that looks like for you. Join us on the 26th and share a story of how this image connects with you!