Invitation to Hopework Dinner, Sunday, Jan. 31
From: Lynn Englund (engl8813umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:08:42 -0800 (PST)
Dear Hopework friends,

Hopework is the practice of creating spaces for people to get to know
and like each other and to find renewed hope and purpose with and from
each other. John and I host a monthly pot-luck supper as a way to
reconnect with friends who have shared in our work and as a way to meet
new acquaintances who resonate to Hopework¹s ideals. Each month we look
forward to
greeting new and long-time Hopework <http://www.hopework.org> friends,
Philosophy Camp <http://www.philosophycamp.org>/Lives Worth Living
alumni and fellows, and other friends and acquaintances who share our
interests. Please join us when you can!

It's been almost a month since the last Hopework supper when new and old
friends and gathered to honor our ancestors and loved ones by sharing
memories or repeating the stories we have heard about them. Circled
around the table adorned by my great grandmother's spirit trumpet, I
heard stories of risk and courage, stories of moves that carried
families from one country to another, stories that moved me by the love
that was carries on, and stories that touched my heart by with the
tenderness of our own remembering. What a rich history we called to the
table that night!

I've been considering a topic for December and, as usual, I'm called by
the change in season and time of year. Although we don't yet have snow
and the weather has been unusually mild, December is the month of our
longest winter nights. The days are noticeably shorter now and I often
rise and walk home in the dark. But the moon is bright on winter nights
and it rises higher in the sky than at any other time of year. This
December, the full moon will rise high in the sky twice, once on the 2nd
and again on the 31st. The second full moon of the month is called a
"blue" moon. Therefore, this month's topic is stories that recall winter
nights, winter moons, and those once in a "blue" moon times of our lives.