Hopework dinner Sunday, Dec. 6.
From: Lynn Englund (lynnhopework.org)
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:58:22 -0800 (PST)
Dear Hopework and Philosophy Camp friends,

Hopework is the practice of creating spaces for people to get to know and like each other and to find renewed hope and purpose with and from each other. John and I host a monthly pot-luck supper as a way to reconnect with friends who have shared in our work and as a way to meet new acquaintances who share our interests. Each month we look forward to greeting new and long-time Hopework <http://www.hopework.org> friends, Philosophy Camp <http://www.philosophycamp.org>/Lives Worth Living alumni and fellows, and other friends and acquaintances who share our interests. Please join us when you can!

It's been almost a month since the last Hopework supper when new and old friends and gathered to honor our ancestors and loved ones by sharing memories or repeating the stories we have heard about them. Circled around the table adorned by my great grandmother's spirit trumpet, I heard stories of risk and courage, stories of moves that carried families from one country to another, stories that moved me by the love that was carries on, and stories that touched my heart by with the tenderness of our own remembering. What a rich history we called to the table that night!

I've been considering a topic for December and, as usual, I'm called by the change in season and time of year. Although we don't yet have snow and the weather has been unusually mild, December is the month of our longest winter nights. The days are noticeably shorter now and I often rise and walk home in the dark. But the moon is bright on winter nights and it rises higher in the sky than at any other time of year. This December, the full moon will rise high in the sky twice, once on the 2nd and again on the 31st. The second full moon of the month is called a "blue" moon. Therefore, this month's topic is stories that recall winter nights, winter moons, and those once in a "blue" moon times of our lives.