Hopework dinner, Sunday, Nov. 1
From: Lynn Englund (lynnhopework.org)
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 17:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Hopework and Philosophy Camp friends,

Last month a group of eight gathered for the first Hopework dinner of the fall on October 4 to reflect on shifts in the balance or ecology of our lives and how well our own mix is working for us. It was a nice way to reconnect with each other and catch up on the movement in our lives. A very satisfying evening!

Now, as the end of October approaches and hard frosts and first snows announce the end of the harvest, I think of my favorite Halloween celebrations of years past and remember large bonfires in fields and back yards and the cauldron of soup that used to be made outdoors with the harvest offerings brought by families and friends. For a number of years, the first thing to go in the bottom of the pot was a washed stone, making it our own "stone soup." In many traditions, the end of October and first few days of November is a time to honor ancestors. The "veil" between the living and the dead is said to be thinnest at this time of year, making it easiest for the living to communicate with the souls of those who have died. I don't have any evidence in support of the claim, but I do like to think of my ancestors at this time of year.

Whatever your beliefs or traditions at this time of year, you are invited to join John and me for the next Hopework potluck supper. We will feast together with the offerings we bring, and will share stories and photos of those who live on in our memories and talk about the "ghosts" of the past in our futures. Is there an ancestor or person in your past you'd like to honor by sharing a story or photo of them? In honor of an ancestor, I'll ask my mother to bring over the "spirit trumpets" used by her grandmother, my great-grandmother, to help attract the spirits called during séances that she held.