Hopework supper Sunday, Oct. 24
From: Lynn Englund (engl8813umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 07:04:21 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Hopework friends,

I apologize for the late invitation to this Sunday¹s Hopework supper 4-7 pm
at my place. Details below.

In the weeks since September¹s Hopework dinner, I¹ve finally had to close my
windows ? all the way. I¹m always a little sad when the day comes that I
know they¹ll stay shut until the following spring, but I haven¹t had to turn
on the furnace yet! One marker of winter¹s pending arrival at a time. On the
bright side, I¹ve just returned from a a few days in Toronto where I saw
gardens and planters full of the most wonderful arrangements of mums,
grasses, cabbages, and vines. I¹m looking forward to hauling dirt to my 4th
floor deck next spring so that I can enjoy that beauty here in a year.

John and I are pleased to invite you to join us this Sunday, October 26 for
the second in a series of Hopework suppers. Last month 12 of us greeted each
other around the table and shared the food and drinks we brought along.
Afterward we went around the circle to tell a story that illustrated an
aspect of health that is on our mind.

Some of the themes that emerged in our circle were watching parents being
caregivers to their parents, relationships between our health and our
identity, the daily practices that we use and desire for health, engaging
with health systems that may not always have our healing as their priority,
our own amazing abilities to heal and restore ourselves, and our awareness
of what it means to be together in this boat of health and wellbeing,
needing webs of relationships for health and wellbeing, and recognizing our
needs for care during the times in life that we are dependent on others.

Hopework is the name that John and I use for the work we do. Hopework is the
practice of creating safe spaces for people to get to know and like each
other, and finding renewed hope and purpose in life with and from each
other. John and I host a pot-luck supper on the last Sunday of most months
as a way to reconnect with friends who have shared in our work and to meet
new acquaintances who share our interests. Each month we look forward to
greeting new and long-time Hopework friends, Philosophy Camp/Lives Worth
Living alumni and fellows, and other friends and acquaintances who share our
interests. Please join us when you can!

We will be looking into the aspects of health that are alive for us. This
month I¹m interested in looking more deeply into the arenas of our  lives
that nurture our health and wellbeing or seem toxic to it.