Other Folk Schools
From: Joelyn Malone (JKMalonecomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:08:29 -0800 (PST)
Hi Nancy!
There's a place offering a similar experience, though not calling itself a Folk School, that is affiliated with Friends School of Minnesota. It is a farm in Wisconsin which has a community-focused mission (it is either a nonprofit organization or owned by a charitable foundation - I'm not sure which). I just know snatches of information about it - Friends School classes go there for day outings to plant trees, learn about the environment and other activities (like, just hang out outdoors and see what that's like!). I know it also serves the rural community that is its nearest neighbor. I'm also pretty sure it provides residential internships (I think open to anyone, not just for enrolled-school credits) - but not positive. I'm sure someone at Friends School would be happy to provide more information.
Joelyn Malone

(P.S. I believe City of Lakes Montissori School now also has a farm, where they are able to provide or at least approximate the kind of learning situation that Maria Montissori felt was most appropriate for adolescents and teens - creating and running their own community.)