Re: The Clearing Folk School
From: nps (npsusfamily.net)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:13:18 -0800 (PST)
I'm a "member" of this school but have still not been able to clear my calendar
to get to a "class". It sounds as if The Clearing is most similar in the Folk
School realm to the John C. Campbell Folk School (North Carolina).  . But, like
that school, (where I worked in the early 70s), the "residential" aspect of the
experience is more as guests than as full participants in daily life. For the
true participation and community building, the one week family camps at Danebod
in Tyler seem to be more on the mark than these schools that offer workshops
(mainly for wealthy people)--especially since the workshops are also only a
week long. Some of my friends have had a great experience at North House, but
of course there is not residential element there. I have yet to find a North
American Folk school that blends a longer residential experience, with
community involvement in things like cooking and campus upkeep, and learning
through dialogue all into one package. There IS also another Folk School in
central WI (wonder if its name is something like "Pinetree" and there's one
that I believe is in Maine. I've been unable to learn more about either. If
anyone knows of a school that blends the Hopework vision with a residential
experience, while also involving some "hands on" learning, I'd love to learn
about it.
Nancy Sather