Invitation to Hopework supper October 28
From: Lynn Englund (engl8813umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Hopework friends,

September's Hopework supper celebrated the return of pot-luck feasting and
the start of a conversation on intentional living including cohousing and
other forms of intentional community.

Joelyn Malone provided news of cohousing groups and possible sites in the
area. The seven of us around the table shared what intentional living means
to us and the possibilities for living that brought us to the conversation.
My notes include:
* a willingness to downsize private space even more if shared common space
is available
* friends  ³taking turns being lame² (helping each other through periods of
ill health or physical problems)
* having a smaller footprint, being close to shops, using public transit,
walking more
* intentionally choosing to act with others from shared values (small town
life doesn¹t always allow that).
* intentional living and community mean different things to different people
* living with friends, feeling included, accepted, cared for by others
* working with neighbors on community issues
* having shared space for creative arts and projects
* giving the individual more freedom for self expression, not less.
* finding the richness of community outside your door and the richness of
solitude inside your door
* having the privacy of personal space, but able to step into rich
conversation with neighbors
* connecting living to nature
* cohousing living is like marriage in terms of possibilities for conflict
and the need for intention
* opportunity to try things never tried before, to learn from others
* night skies, less busy, grounded
* a place of purpose, a home to anchor a life¹s work, growing with and from
others older and younger.

Join round two of the conversation this Sunday. What about intentional
living inspires you? What new possibilities for living attract you? What
experiments in intentional living are you conducting? What¹s holding you
back?

Hopework pot-luck supper Sunday, October 28.
  * Eat at 4:00 pm, but come as early as 3:00 to cook and visit
  * I¹ll provide a vegetarian soup or main dish and water, tea, and coffee
  * Conversation on intentional living after dinner
  * Depending on our numbers, we'll finish up about 6-6:30
  * I appreciate the help of those who can stay to clean up at the end.

Please respond if you will join me. Bring food or your favorite
beverage to share. If you need a ride or want to carpool, please put a
request on the list.

I can squeeze 12 around my table and there's room for up to 20 if we spill
over into other areas.

A map to my apartment is online at http://tinyurl.com/yqyh98
The 4-unit building is brick with cream colored columns. Please call if you
need better directions.

Lynn

90 Malcolm Ave SE, Apt. 3 (top of the stairs on the right)
Minneapolis, MN  55414

612-331-2263 (apt)
612-710-7287 (cell)

Unsubscribe, archives and other info at: