May session course -- 4 weeks, 6 credits
From: John Wallace (walla003umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:31:30 -0800 (PST)
Dear Hopework Friends,

We are pleased to share this information with you and ask that you forward it to individuals who may be interested.

Lynn Englund

Nance Longley

Peter Shea

John Wallace

For the 5th consecutive year we proudly offer our folk-school-like residential philosophy course referred to as “Philosophy Camp.” This year’s course is 4-weeks long (May 22-June 16) and earns 6 credits. As a U of M May Session/Summer school offering, it is open to students enrolled at any college or university and to interested individuals not currently seeking a degree. Minnesota residency is not required—all pay resident tuition.

In addition, and new this year, we are offering one-week visiting fellow positions for educators and other adults interested in experiencing first-hand Philosophy Camp’s approach to learning. Details are posted on the Philosophy Camp web site.

 Philosophy Camp—Philosophy 4326 "Lives Worth Living"—6 credits

May 22 to June 16, 2006 (May term plus first week of Summer Session)

Explore self, vocation, and community in the context of rural life.

 Students reserve their place in the course NOW by pre-registering.

Go to http://www.philosophycamp.com or

Contact John Wallace, walla003 [at] tc.umn.edu and 612-624-5210;

Office hour Wed. 1:00-2:00 and by appointment, 868 Heller Hall.

* students build a living-learning community in this reflective and experiential course

* small class in which friendships blossom

* offered at a beautiful farm/retreat center on the prairie in southwest Minnesota

* for freshmen through seniors with any or no   major

* meets U of M reqs: arts and humanities core, citizenship and public ethics theme

* graduate credit can be arranged--contact the instructor, John Wallace

* looking for students who can reflect on their lives and want to make a difference

* multicultural experience; diversity welcomed

* scholarships available

See rave reviews and photos from 2002 – 2005 courses at http:// www.philosophycamp.com