Update on documentation workshops
From: John Wallace (walla003umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
October 22, 2005

Dear Hopework Folk School friends,

This is an update on the series of workshops on documentation of democratic education and community-based social change work being held this semester on Thursday evenings, 7-9 pm, in 731 Heller Hall on the East Bank campus of the University of Minnesota.

Each workshop is focusing on one case study of documentation. The overarching question for the series is: “What is the value of stepping back and revisiting and reflecting on the paths we have traveled in democratic work for social change?”

These are stand-alone sessions, you are welcome to come to some and not others. The assumption behind the series of workshops is that probably all of us who are doing democratic social change work are doing some documentation of our work, and feel that we are not doing it as much as we should or as well as we could. The hope for these Thursday evening workshops is that they will be a chance for us to share where we are with documentation, and to learn from each other.

There are still a couple of weeks to be firmed up. If you have suggestions for how these open weeks might be used, please don’t hesitate to share them.

The provisional schedule for the workshops for the rest of the semesters is as follows.

October 27 Hopework folk school team shares documentation of linked learning circles

November 3 To be announced

November 10 Frank Schweigert, Director of Evaluation at the Northwest Area Foundation

November 17 To be announced

December 1 Jessica Myhre and colleagues on documentation at the Southside Family School

December 8 To be announced

Don’t hesitate to email me if you have questions.

John Wallace