Invitation to documentation workshops
From: John Wallace (walla003tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:33:20 -0700 (PDT)
September 7, 2005

Dear Hopework Folk School friends,

I am writing to invite you to workshops on documentation of democratic education and community-based social change work being held this semester on Thursday evenings, 7-9 pm, in 731 Heller Hall on the East Bank campus of the University of Minnesota.

Each workshop will focus on one case study of documentation. The overarching question for the series is: “What is the value of stepping back and revisiting and reflecting on the paths we have traveled in democratic work for social change?”

These are stand-alone sessions, you are welcome to come to some and not others. The assumption behind the series of workshops is that probably all of us who are doing democratic social change work are doing some documentation of our work, and feel that we are not doing it as much as we should or as well as we could. The hope for these Thursday evening workshops is that they will be a chance for us to share where we are with documentation, and to learn from each other.

Please let me know in advance if you intend to come to a session – 731 Heller Hall is not a large room, but there are other rooms we can use if the interest in a particular session requires it.

The provisional schedule for the workshops is as follows – the first six weeks are firm and I will send out updates as the rest of the schedule is firmed up:

September 15 Lynn Englund and John Wallace, audio documentation of residential immersion May term “Lives Worth Living” course

September 22 “You Got to Move” documentary video about the Highlander Folk School

September 29 John Wallace on Rosa Parks in Montgomery and at Highlander

October 6 “Weapons of the Spirit” documentary film about hospitality that the French village of Le Chambon provided refugees during the Second World War

October 13 “An Amusement Park for Birds” about democratic pre-schools and elementary schools in Reggio Emilia, Italy.

October 20 Peter Shea on Philosophy for Children

October 27 See Moua, Nan Kari,and Erik Skold on documentation in the Children’s Circle at the Jane Addams School for Democracy

November 3 Jessica Myhre and colleagues on documentation at the Southside Family School

November 10 Frank Schweigert, Director of Evaluation at the Northwest Area Foundation

November 17 To be announced

December 1 To be announced

December 8 To be announced

Don’t hesitate to email me if you have questions.

John Wallace