Invitation: June 25-27 folk school retreat
From: John Wallace (walla003tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:33:44 -0500
June 8, 2004

June Folk School Retreat

When: June 25-27, 2004
Where: Philadelphia Community Farm near Osceola, WI (50 minutes from
Minneapolis in ideal traffic conditions)
Who: Anyone interested in the relationship between family, culture, and
self

In a time of fast change and technological modernization, how do we go
about the many times difficult work of honoring, enjoying, challenging,
and struggling with family traditions?  How did these family traditions
mold you?  What import should these traditions have on establishing a
meaningful life for the present?   We hope that participants share not
only stories and values of family traditions but also traditional craft
and other powerful connections to family that participants may have
such as songs, dances, recipes, etc.  Faith Hareldson and Joel Ulrich
from the Jane Addams School for Democracy and Robin Harvey from
Philadelphia Farms will help facilitate the weekend.  Come reflect on
and create from family traditions and how they can best be a part of
everyday life.

The overall shape of the weekend retreat will look something like this:

Friday
    3:00-6:00 pm -- Arrive, settle, explore, and help prepare for meal
    6:30 pm -- Hearty soup and bread supper, introductions
    8:00 pm -- Evening opening conversation and activities

Saturday
    7-9 am -- Breakfast bar at your convenience
   9:00 am ­ Conversations in large and small groups
  12:30 pm -- Lunch
   2:00 pm ­ Free time, small group work, and time to enjoy the Farm
   5:00 pm -- Dinner preparation, meal, and clean up
   8:00 pm ­ Evening reflection circles

Sunday
    8:00 am -- Hearty breakfast
    9:30 am -- Closing circle
   11-12:00 -- Cleanup and leave for home

Folk school retreats invite all participants to trust in the power of
listening and telling our own stories. We aim to slow our pace over the
weekend to listen deeply to others and to make room for our most
authentic
selves to speak, trusting that something of use will emerge as we
engage in
this process. Our goal is to leave on Sunday feeling rested,
rejuvenated,
and graced to find ourselves being more as we leave than when we came.

A special note. The folk school gatherings are intended to bring new
people together and to be open to people who share the values of
stronger communities and are working to build them. We hope this
invitation will reach some people who have not previously taken part in
a gathering sponsored by the folk school group. Please share this
invitation with anyone whom you wish to invite.

SIGNING UP FOR THE RETREAT  Participation in this retreat is capped at
10 adults.  The Log House has four bedrooms and one sleeping loft, so
we are looking basically at two people sharing each sleeping space (not
counting babies) with variations as needed. We are reserving four
places at this retreat for women from last year's May term "Lives Worth
Living" course, who are in process of creating a women's community. Lynn
Englund and John Wallace will also be participating. That leaves 4 open
places for the retreat for people to sleep over in the Log House. There
is
room for 6 more people who live nearby and can conveniently sleep in
their
own homes and travel back and forth to participate in the retreat
meals, discussions and activities.

REGISTRATION  Please register by Wednesday, June 23rd, so that some
food can be purchased in advance. Simply e-mail John Wallace
(walla003 [at] umn.edu) or Lynn Englund (engl8813 [at] umn.edu) saying that you
intend to participate and include the following information:

1. Name
2. Food requirements: vegetarian, vegan, other food desires or
    allergies?
3. Telephone numbers for arranging rides, emergency contact
    information, etc.
4. If you are driving, let us know your estimated departure and arrival
    times and whether you will have room for others. If you need a ride,
    indicate the time you can leave and where you need to be picked up
    and dropped off.
5. When we should expect you, if you are unable to arrive by 6 pm or
    need to leave early.
6. Please let us know if you would like to give or receive a scholarship
    and what amount you can contribute or desire. You may pay John during
    the weekend.

ARRIVING AND DEPARTING  We will expect you to arrive by 6:30 p.m. for
dinner on Friday and to stay with us until about noon on Sunday unless
other arrangements are communicated to John or Lynn.

COST  Philadelphia Community Farm  charges $15 per person per night for
lodging . Our group will be buying our own food and preparing our own
meals. Based on the experience of previous workshops, it will cost $15
per person for food for Friday dinner through Sunday brunch.  So, the
total cost is $45 per person for those staying at the Farm, $15 for
those
who commute.

AUTOMATIC SCHOLARSHIPS FOR STUDENTS  Philadelphia Community
Farm has a scholarship fund for students who participate in Hopework
Folk
School retreats.  This fund automatically reduces the cost for each
student
who participates to $25.

SLIDING FEE To recognize the fact that different people have different
abilities to pay, we offer a self-selected sliding fee, for
non-students, ranging from $20 to $70. What you pay is up to you--there
is no application or review process. If you choose to pay less than
cost ($45), you are accepting a scholarship. If you choose to pay more
than cost, you are providing a scholarship for someone else. For
students, because of the automatic scholarship, the fee range slides
down to $5 to $50.

BANKER John Wallace will serve as the banker for this retreat. Please
make your checks out to him. You may pay at the retreat. If you want to
send a check, please send it to John at 4536 Dupont Avenue South,
Minneapolis, MN 55409.

PERSONAL GEAR AND BEDDING Philadelphia Farm provides sheets for the
beds. You are encouraged to bring your own pillows, towels, and
blankets or sleeping bags. Also bring personal toiletries including
soap and shampoo.

TRANSPORTATION We encourage car pooling and will help to coordinate
rides.  Please let John or Lynn know if you need a ride or if you can
provide rides. John will put out a summary of who is driving and who
needs a ride so that good travel matches can be made. Also, please let
John know if you would like to caravan with other cars. Driving time is
50 minutes from Minneapolis in ideal traffic conditions, but can be
well over an hour during rush hour.

MEALS Simple meals are prepared on site by retreat participants. Meals
are often entirely vegetarian, but if not, a vegetarian or vegan option
will be available. Please note any special dietary needs when you
register.

DIRECTIONS TO THE LOG HOUSE AT PHILADELPHIA COMMUNITY FARM

 From the Twin Cities

Take 35E or 35W north.  Right after 35E and 35W join together again,
take exit 129 for Highway 97 east.  Go east on 97 for about 15 miles
(this is approximate) to Highway 95.  Go north on 95 for about 5 miles.
Turn right on County 243 and cross the bridge over the St. Croix River
into Osceola.  At the stop sigh turn right and go under a railroad
bridge.  Go 200 to 300 yards.  Take the second possible right turn (half
way up hill) onto Ridge Road.  Go 2 miles to a "T" junction (60th
Avenue).  Turn right and go 1/4 mile.  You stay on the paved road which
turns left at this point (note: the dirt road straight ahead goes into
Philadelphia Farm proper, but not the Log house) and continue south on
the paved road for 1.7 miles. Just after 45th Avenue, look for the for
the
sign for Fire Road # 438 by a driveway on your left. The driveway leads
the Log House,  which is set back from the road, behind a row of young
white
pines.

EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION

If you are delayed or get lost, try Lynn's cell phone, (612) 710-7287.
You may also call Philadelphia Farm. Phone: (715) 294-4048, or the
Log House (715) 294-4411.

Philadelphia Community Farm
579 280th Street
Osceola, WI 54020