"Be the change" lunch on December 8
From: John Wallace (walla003TC.UMN.EDU)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:31:18 -0600
December 2, 2003

To:    Folk School folks

From: John Wallace

Invitation to:  Folk School lunch at John Wallace's office, this coming

Monday, December 8, 11:30 -- 1:00

        Note the shift in place from the meetings we had for several Mondays
at Trinity Lutheran Congregation.  You are welcome to bring your brown

bag lunch.  Juice and cookies will be served.

     The purpose of these weekly lunch meetings is to dig into Gandhi's

saying, "You must be the change you seek in the world."  They are open,

rolling conversations happening throughout this academic year, where
people are free to come when they can, and come at any time between
11:30 and 1:00.

     Last week we began by reading out a poem by William Stafford and a

short text from John Woolman's Journal.  This seemed to work well
(again).  We will start with another Stafford poem and an excerpt from

Woolman's Journal this Monday.

     I am pasting in below the pieces we used last Monday.

     My office is 868 Heller Hall, on the U of MN West Bank campus.
Close to Wilson Library and the Humphrey Institute.

Thinking For Berky

In the late night listening from bed
I have joined the ambulance or the patrol
screaming toward some drama, the kind of end
that Berky must have some day, if she isn't dead.

The wildest of all, her father and mother cruel,
farming out there beyond the old stone quarry
where high-school lovers parked their lurching cars,
Berky learned to love in that dark school.

Early her face was turned away from home
toward any hardworking place; but still her soul,
with terrible things to do, was alive, looking out
for the rescue that-surely, some day-would have to come.

Windiest nights, Berky, I have thought for you,
and no matter how lucky I've been I've touched wood.
There are things not solved in our town though tomorrow came:
there are things time passing can never make come true.

We live in an occupied country, misunderstood;
justice will take us millions of intricate moves.
Sirens will hunt down Berky, you survivors in your beds
listening through the night, so far and good.

William Stafford

The Journal of John Woolman

John Woolman lived from 1720 to 1772.  Like many Quakers, Woolman kept

a spiritual journal, that he began writing in 1756.  The writing looks

backward, beginning with his birth, and continues until the end of his

life.  The entry below concerns some struggles he had in expressing his

views about lotteries, at the Yearly Meeting at Newport, Rhode Island,

in 1760; it is from Chapter Seven. of the Journal.

And now an exercise revived in my mind in relation to lotteries, which

were common in those parts. I had mentioned the subject in a former
sitting of this meeting, when arguments were used in favor of Friends
being held excused who were only concerned in such lotteries as were
agreeable to law. And now, on moving it again, it was opposed as
before; but the hearts of some solid Friends appeared to be united to
discourage the practice amongst their members, and the matter was
zealously handled by some on both sides. In this debate it appeared
very clear to me that the spirit of lotteries was a spirit of
selfishness, which tended to confuse and darken the understanding, and

that pleading for it in our meetings, which were set apart for the
Lord's work, was not right. In the heat of zeal, I made reply to what
an ancient Friend said, and when I sat down I saw that my words were
not enough seasoned with charity. After this I spoke no more on the
subject. At length a minute was made, a copy of which was to be sent to

their several Quarterly Meetings, inciting Friends to labor to
discourage the practice amongst all professing with us.

Some time after this minute was made I remained uneasy with the manner

of my speaking to the ancient Friend, and could not see my way clear to

conceal my uneasiness, though I was concerned that I might say nothing

to weaken the cause in which I had labored. After some close exercise
and hearty repentence for not having attended closely to the safe
guide, I stood up, and, reciting the passage, acquainted Friends that
though I durst not go from what I had said as to the matter, yet I was

uneasy with the manner of my speaking, believing milder language would

have been better. As this was uttered in some degree of creaturely
abasement after a warm debate, it appeared to have a good savor amongst
us.