Dec. 5-7 folk school: Being Peace
From: John Wallace (walla003TC.UMN.EDU)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:51:56 -0600
Invitation to "Being Peace" folk school weekend December 5-7, 2003 at Shalom
Hill Farm near Windom, MN.

The folk school is working with Gandhi's saying, "You must be the change you
seek in the world." The December 5-7 folk school weekend will take up our
hope for peace, and ask us to explore new possibilities for "being peace" in
our every-day worlds.

This folk school weekend is for those who are intrigued by the challenges
and paradoxes that arise when we use Gandhi's saying to think outside the
box of our lives. It is for those who are open to the possibility of seeing
new ways in which we can "be peace" at every scale that is open to us, from
working for structural change, to everyday interactions with neighbors and
colleagues, to transforming ourselves as we become more authentically
aligned with our beliefs and values.

Folk school retreats invite all participants to trust in the power of
listening and telling our own stories. We aim to slow our pace over the
weekend to listen deeply to others and to make room for our most authentic
selves to speak, trusting that something of use will emerge, that a new
path, insight,
or personal connection will open to us when we engage in this process with
others. Our goal is to leave on Sunday feeling rested and rejuvenated, and
taking home with us new insights, new possibilities for action, and new
friends.

The overall shape of the weekend retreat will look something like this:

Friday
   3:00 pm -- Arrive, settle into rooms and explore Shalom Hill Farm
   6:30 pm -- Hearty soup and bread dinner, introductions
   8:00 pm -- Evening opening conversation and activities

Saturday
   7-9 am -- Breakfast bar at your convenience
  9:00 am -- Morning learning circle conversation
 12:30 pm -- Lunch
  2:00 pm -- Free time
  5:00 pm -- Dinner preparation, meal, and clean up
  8:00 pm -- Small group conversations around the fire

Sunday
   8:00 am -- Hearty breakfast
   9:30 am -- Closing circle
  11-12:00 -- Cleanup and leave for home

A special note. The folk school gatherings are intended to bring new people
together and to be open to people who share the values of stronger
communities and are working to build them. We hope this invitation will
reach some people who have not previously taken part in a gathering
sponsored by the folk school group. Please share this invitation with anyone
whom you wish to invite.

SIGNING UP FOR THE RETREAT

RESERVING YOUR ROOM. A total of 18 rooms are available for this retreat. A
room is held for you when you inform John Wallace (walla003 [at] tc.umn.edu) or
Lynn Englund (engl8813 [at] umn.edu) that you wish to attend. Please register by
December 3 so we can plan for the meal Friday evening.

ARRIVING AND DEPARTING We will expect you to arrive by 6:30 p.m. for dinner
on Friday and to stay with us until about noon on Sunday unless other
arrangements are communicated to John or Lynn.

COST. Shalom Hill Farm charges $22 per person per night for lodging, single
occupancy. Double occupancy rooms are charged at $17 per person per night.
Our group will be buying our own food and preparing our own meals. Based on
the experience of previous workshops, it will cost $15 per person for food
for Friday dinner through Sunday brunch. So, the total cost is $59 per
person single occupancy or $49 per person double occupancy.

SLIDING FEE. To recognize the fact that different people have different
abilities to pay, we offer a self-selected sliding fee ranging from $35
to $75. What you pay is up to you--there is no application or review process.
If you choose to pay less than cost ($59/$49), you are accepting a
scholarship. If you choose to pay more than cost, you are providing a
scholarship for someone else.

BANKER. John Wallace will serve as the banker for this retreat. Please make
your checks out to him. You may pay at the retreat. If you want to send a
check, please send it to John at 4536 Dupont Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN
55409.

PERSONAL GEAR AND BEDDING. Shalom Hill Farm provides sheets, towels, and
blankets. You won't need to bring your sleeping bag, but do bring personal
toiletries including soap and shampoo.

TRANSPORTATION. We encourage car pooling and will help to coordinate rides.
Please let John or Lynn know if you need a ride or if you can provide rides.
John will put out a summary of who is driving and who needs a ride so that
good travel matches can be made. Also, please let John know if you would
like to caravan with other cars. Allow 3 hours of travel time from
Minneapolis, and up to an hour more if traveling during rush hour.

MEALS. Simple meals are prepared on site by retreat participants. Meals are
often entirely vegetarian, but if not, a vegetarian or vegan option will be
available. Please note any special dietary needs when you register.

REGISTRATION. Please register by Wednesday, December 3, so that some food
can be purchased in advance. Simply e-mail John Wallace (walla003 [at] umn.edu)
or Lynn Englund (engl8813 [at] umn.edu) saying that you intend to participate.
Please include in your registration message the following information:

1. Name
2. Food requirements: vegetarian, vegan, other food desires or allergies?
3. Telephone numbers for arranging rides, emergency contact information,
   etc.
4. If you are driving, let us know your estimated departure and arrival
   times and whether you will have room for others. If you need a ride,
   indicate the time you can leave and where you need to be picked up and
   dropped off.
5. When we should expect you, if you are unable to arrive by 6 pm or need
   to leave early.
6. Please let us know if you would like to give or receive a scholarship
   and what amount you can contribute or desire. You may pay John during
   the weekend.
7. Let us know if you want a single room or would like to have a roommate.

2004 FOLK SCHOOL WEEKENDS AT SHALOM HILL FARM
   February 6-8
   April, 2-4
   May 7-9

These are the dates we've reserved for Folk School weekends in 2004. As many
of you know, demand for Shalom Hill Farm keeps increasing. We've made a
deposit to reserve these dates for the coming year. Please pencil them in on
your calendar.

We remain committed to an open process where participants in the folk school
create activities for the weekend retreats that will renew and energize
their work to build for social justice a better world.

DIRECTIONS TO SHALOM HILL FARM, Windom, Minnesota

Shalom Hill Farm is located about 11 miles northwest of Windom. I am going
to give you two routes from the Twin Cities.

ROUTE 1: Here is the somewhat shorter, but trickier route, through Jeffers.
This may NOT be the fastest route if you are leaving the cities during rush
hour, especially if you are carpooling with others.

EMPHATIC NOTE: It is essential to USE THESE DIRECTIONS WITH A GOOD
MINNESOTA ROAD MAP in your hands. Force yourself to be rational! Before you
leave the cities, walk through the directions and trace your path while
looking at the map.

Take Highway 169 southwest from the Twin Cities to Mankato. Then take
Highway 60 west almost to Madelia. (Hwy 60 runs in common with Hwy 169 for
awhile, then separates from 169 just beyond Mankato).

Take the Highway 15 north exit just before coming to Madelia, jog
north(less than a mile) on Highway 15 and turn left onto Highway 3 going
west to La Salle.

Just past La Salle, Highway 30 begins to curve south; then (less than 1
mile) turn right onto Highway 30 going west to Darfur and
Jeffers.(Caution--the intersection with Highway 30 is not well marked),

>From Jeffers take Cottonwood County Road 52 south (left) for 4 miles (also
not well marked). The last mile is gravel.

Turn right (west) onto County Road 3. A small blue and white Shalom Hill
Farm directional sign is on your left at this intersection. Drive 2 miles.
The Farm is on your right at the top of the hill.

ROUTE 2: Here is the second route, a little longer and a little simpler
route, which goes through Windom. This is the route we recommend if leaving
the cities during rush hour and you are carpooling because you can take the
sane lane on 35W south out of the cities.

Take 35W south to Highway 60 in Faribault. Then take Highway 60 west to
Mankato. To stay on west 60 you will take a right exit in North Mankato onto
169 south, through Mankato. Stay on west 60 as you leave Mankato. (Hwy 60
runs in common with Hwy 169 for a while, then separates from 169 just beyond
Mankato.)

As you are entering Windom on Highway 60, turn right at the first stop light.

The road you are now on goes past the town square, winds around a bit, and
quickly heads north west along the river, turning into Cottonwood County
Road 13, also known as the River Road. Stay on this road (approximately
7miles) and take it past the Sun Valley Gun Club and turn right on County
Road 21 (a gravel road).

County Road 21 is marked with a Shalom Hill blue and white directional sign.
There is a farmhouse with a yard light on your left as you approach the
intersection. Drive 3 miles to the stop sign which is at a "T."

Turn right at the "T". Shalom Hill Farm is the driveway on your left.

EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION

If you are delayed or get lost, try Lynn's cell phone, (612) 710-7287.
You may also call Shalom Hill Farm. Phone: (507) 831-2232, or (507) 831-5127
and ask that they give us a message.

Shalom Hill Farm Foundation
42194 County road 3
Windom, Minnesota 56101
Mark Yackel-Juleen, Executive Director of Operations
Margaret Yackel-Juleen, Vice President-Secretary-Treasurer
http://www.shalomhillfarm.org

John Wallace
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Philosophy