Mon, Sept. 8 be the change lunch
From: John Wallace (walla003TC.UMN.EDU)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:21:57 -0500
September 5, 2003

To:    Folk School folks

From: John Wallace

Invitation to:    Folk School lunch at St. Martin's Table, this coming
Monday, September 8, 11:30 -- 1:00

    The purpose of these weekly lunches is to dig into Gandhi's saying, "You
must be the change you seek in the world."  Where the basic question is,
what does it mean?  I know that I am not at all clear about what it means,
and I think it will be illuminating to patiently examine it, turn it this
way and that, in these lunches over the coming year.

    The question we will start with on Monday is, Why does Gandhi use the
word "be" in this odd way?  Why doesn't he just say, "You must do things to
bring about the change you seek in the world"?

    I hope that these will be ongoing open rolling conversations throughout
this academic year, where people feel free to come when they can, and come
at any time between 11:30 and 1:00.

--
John Wallace
Director of Graduate Studies