2003-2004 theme for many events: "Be the change"
From: John Wallace (walla003TC.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:26:11 -0500
August 20, 2003

To:    Folk School folks

From: Lynn Englund and John Wallace

Announcing:  "You must be the change you seek in the world":
             Folk School Activities for the academic year 2003-04

We have chosen Gandhi's saying, "You must be the change you seek in the
world," as the theme to guide folk school activities for the coming year.
We believe in the transformative power and synergy that develop among people
of all ages who dream, discover, reflect, and act on what it means to live
our lives from Gandhi's stance of being the change we seek.

Under this theme, any number of activities are possible, including the
following dates and activities that are now on our calendars and are taking
shape. Event-specific announcements will be sent out prior to each event.
Please consider adding your options to the list!

WEEKLY lunchtime conversations during Fall Semester on the aspects of "being
the change you seek" that come alive for us, confront us, and challenge us.
Gather with John Wallace at St. Martin's Table, Mondays, 11:30 to 12:30,
starting September 8.

ROAD TRIP to Matfield Green, Kansas (pop. 60). September 12-16, 2003. Take
part in the town's annual celebration and interact with the environmental
and social justice group that is taking root with a new vision for the
future. This trip can accommodate about eight people, and is currently fully
subscribed.  We see this as an annual event for the folk school.

EVENING DISCUSSIONS at St. Martin's Table [2001 Riverside Ave., Minneapolis
55454; parking in back].

    October 2, 7-9 pm.   Bernice Johnson will share the story of her work in
Thailand, teaching English to Shan refugees from Burma, and read to us from
the stories she has written about the plight of her students. Bernice is
returning to Thailand in mid-October and will bring used laptop computers to
assist her students.

    November 6, 7-9 pm.  David Sheie will lead a discussion based on his
recently completed Ph.D. dissertation.  It is based on a case study of how
Walker Church in south Minneapolis pursues the twin goals of personal growth
for participants and social justice engagement in the broader world.  David
will give a summary of his key findings, and then open the space for
questions and discussion.

FOLK SCHOOL WEEKENDS at Shalom Hill Farm.  The themes explored in these four
weekends will pick up on Gandhi's saying about being the change you seek.

    December 5-7, 2003.  The theme will be:  Being Peace.

Each of the following retreats will have a theme of the form:  Being X, with
the X's still to be chosen.

    February 6-8, 2004
    April 2-4, 2004
    May 7-9, 2004

Contact John Wallace (walla003 [at] umn.edu) or Lynn Englund (engl8813 [at]
umn.edu)
if you have items to add to the list of activities.

--
John Wallace
Director of Graduate Studies