Re: Melting this list [was: Invit...Supper Sun, Feb 23
From: Bryan Burnoski (bryanburnoskihotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:45:31 -0800 (PST)

It's been a while since I attended a Hopework dinner, but when I am in town and
the invitation is close to coinciding with my schedule I do think about
attending.  Unfortunately it has not happened in some time.  I thought I'd take
the time to respond to your "icicles melting" in this internet-email round
robin.

Thank you for the ongoing Hopework invitations through the years. I feel
welcomed every time I see an invitation to a dinner, and I am always reminded
of my involvement in the Philosophy camp at Shalom Hill Farm in 2001.  I was,
and continue to be blown away at what the folk school model has done and makes
available for people.  That experience for me was remarkable and at that - life
changing.  If I use the analogy of icicles melting, that year was the beginning
of monumental changes in my life...ice began dripping. It seems so long ago.
It has not been easy.   Drip, drip, drip.

It's been several years now and I take the folk school lessons and the Hopework
dinner discussions with me even still.  And not the discussions themselves per
se, but the method, the attention to intention, and the listening that goes on
in the format. Really inspiring.  The model accompanies me in the community
oriented endeavors that I have undertaken since then in many ways.  The water
continues to drip and the icicles continue to melt.

For me, being more like water also represents the fluidity and happiness in my
life that I have attained;  not stuck or frozen or fearful.  The more like
water I become the less stuck I feel. Fluidity to me means choice is available
to me and I am more adaptable...things seem possible.  I have been embracing
the word "ease" lately.  And this comes up for me here because chipping away at
ice is an arduous task and not an entirely efficient way to get a little bit of
water.  The melting analogy feels more like ease to me; it's accumulative over
time, abundant, thoughtful somehow, comforting, and natural.  The image of an
icicle melting away is a childhood image for me...drip by drip...it's restful,
clear, and meditative.  [deep breath]

Uncertain if I will be attending another of the Hopework gatherings or not, I
rest well knowing that invitations appear in my in-box from time to time.  I
currently live outside of Minnesota for most of the year.  However I'll put in
a plug for April when it may be possible for me to attend a gathering.  I will
be visiting from April 8th thru 20th.  Wishing you all a wonderful spring.

Gratitude,
Bryan