Oct 6 "Be the change" lunch
From: John Wallace (walla003TC.UMN.EDU)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:04:34 -0500
October 2, 2003

To:    Folk School folks

From: John Wallace

Invitation to:    Folk School lunch at St. Martin's Table, this coming
Monday, October 6, 11:30 -- 1:00

    The purpose of these weekly lunch meetings is to dig into Gandhi's
saying, "You must be the change you seek in the world."  They are open,
rolling conversations happening throughout this academic year, where people
are free to come when they can, and come at any time between 11:30 and 1:00.

    The centerpiece text for the conversation will be the lyrics of Larry
Long's song, "Be the Change," which had its first public performance at the
Wellstone Memorial Celebration.  Colleen Healy and Cristy De La Cruz will
facilitate the conversation.  The lyrics, and Larry Long's introductory
notes, are pasted in below.

    The meeting is in the Trinity Lutheran Community space upstairs from the
St. Martin's Table restaurant.  Come in the red door in the back. You can
buy your lunch downstairs at St. Martin's Table and bring it up, or you can
brown bag it.

    St. Martin's Table is at 2001 Riverside Avenue.

    And remember the folk school evening with Bernice Johnson, this evening
at 7:00, at St. Martin's Table.

Larry Long
About Be The Change:

Paul and Sheila Wellstone were my friends. Along with thousands of others, I
partnered with them in numerous campaigns on peoples' issues over the last
thirty years. The world was made better through their efforts. During their
last Senatorial campaign, I flew with Paul & Sheila Wellstone to a debate in
southwestern Minnesota. On the return flight home, I interviewed Paul.
During the course of that interview, I asked Paul how he was able to handle
attacks that I perceived to be quite personal without responding in kind.
Paul simply quoted Mahatma Ghandhi, "Be the change you seek in the world."
He then said, "The best kind of politics is when you help other people
become their own best selves" Be The Change was written directly following
that flight home as a gift to Paul and Sheila. It later became the lyrical
foundation for their official campaign song, "Stand Up Keep Fighting", which
was written with their campaign staff, J.D. Steele, and myself. Now it's up
to each of us to keep that vision alive.

Be The Change

Be the change
You seek in this world
Be the change you believe in